This past week was mostly devoted to two things: making progress on the leaky garage and putting down the critter protection. And most of that time was spent on the garage. That said, we did set the netting mentioned in last week’s post over our watermelon patch and some of the tomatoes. And so far, so good!
The netting is remarkably “sticky.” Not sticky like glue, but the stuff gets easily caught on anything and everything, from itself to tall weeds to the bottoms of our shoes. So it was a hassle to manage the stuff, getting it properly laid out and cut. We anchored it into the ground as best we could once we got it even marginally in place. Actually, we might have gone a little overboard with the anchors; but y’know, we wanted to make absolutely sure that no sneaky, little squirrel hands could somehow manipulate the “force field.”
After covering the watermelon, we set about laying the rest of the netting over some of the tomatoes, primarily the two free-standing beds in the middle of the yard and the bed on the side of the house.
We didn’t want to restrict their growth any, so we went very light on the anchors.
After we dealt with the netting, we sprayed the repellant around the perimeter of the beds and on some of the plants. Each day we’ve been checking for evidence of animal-induced hijinks around with the plants, and we’ve found none! Hallelujah! So maybe we will actually get a decent crop of tomatoes, at least. If the ones that are coming in actually ripen, that is.
The only tomato plant that’s ripening now is the orphan tomato plant (below). The others are producing, as you see in the pictures above, but have been very slow to ripen. We’ve hit a cool spot in the summer, which is great for us, but not so great for the tomatoes. Things are supposed to heat back up this week, and we can hardly believe that we’re actually looking forward to it! Hey, there are so many things one can do with green tomatoes.
Meanwhile, the peppers continue to struggle, except for the guys that are indoors. They are thriving! But the overall non-growth is a little disappointing considering how many plants we started with. Considering that we got a late start with all the wet weather we had earlier in the summer, we’re just glad that our efforts with the peppers aren’t going (and hopefully won’t) go) completely unrewarded.
So in the end, our biggest accomplishment this week has been taking steps to keep the squirrels at bay. Now we can really see how things do; and hopefully the results will inform next year’s garden!